18 February 2009

Doppio Espresso and a Bacon Sandwich please.

Sandwiches

Oops I’ve just eaten mine. About an hour before lunch and all I have left to look forward to is an apple.

But, if I were in the good old UK I’d probably leap into my gas guzzling 4x4 and head up to Bob’s Bites in Stourbridge. I’d be heading there, all 60 miles of the journey, because according to the AA (Automobile Association), this is where one can obtain the best bacon sandwich in the UK.

But alas I’m not in the UK and although I have a gas guzzling 4x4 it would take more than a few hours to get to Bob’s bacon butty emporium so I’m stuck, waiting for that apple and fruit drink.

Sometimes I can agree with manipulating operators.

In a spark of enlightenment (or maybe he’s just realised that his job is on the line), Peter Mandelson has leapt to the defence of the British economy. In doing so, he hasn’t attempted to do what his Prime Minister has attempted, and tried to blame the US of A. Nor has he used the old “it’s a global thing” thing. Nope, Mandy has gone for the jugular and responded to the criticisms of Howard Schulz, the boss of coffee chain Starbucks, by suggesting in a suitably British way, that perhaps Mr. Schulz should protect his glass house before lobbing bits of the scenery at someone else.

Mr. Schulz was asked by an interviewer for his views on the European economy and although he, like many of us, expressed concern, his turn of phrase was somewhat disingenuous. Having stated that “Western Europe” is a concern for his business, he went on to suggest that the British economy was in a “spiral”.

Enter SuperMandy, who in a robust riposte, suggested that Mr. Schulz was less than qualified to comment on the British economy when his own business was evaporating faster than a snowball in a pizza oven.

Good stuff, we need more of this.

No comments: